When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 15:16:18 UTC 2007

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:38:17 +0100
> Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I think Matej was implying we should point to the upstream repo and
> > tagname instead of a tarball.  Then koji would checkout code from
> > upstream without relying on us downloading, then subsequently
> > uploading a tarball via make upload.
>
> That might work if every single upstream were using such a mechanism,
> and used proper tags in their source control for release (and didn't
> just fix a few things in the tarball outside of the scm or scm tag).
> It would also mean teaching koji about each and every possible scm, tag
> syntax, etc...
>
> Until the entire upstream world stops doing releases as tarballs, I
> don't think it's appropriate to change how we consume releases in rpms.

Let me hazard a guess: There will be situations where we simply don't
get by with the upstream state of things for quite a time. Are there
statistics how many Fedora packages don't patch upstream vs. the number
that do it? That'd be interesting.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759