When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 16:02:40 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:40:37 -0500, Jesse Keating scripst:
> That might work if every single upstream were using such a mechanism,
> and used proper tags in their source control for release (and didn't
> just fix a few things in the tarball outside of the scm or scm tag). It
> would also mean teaching koji about each and every possible scm, tag
> syntax, etc...
>
> Until the entire upstream world stops doing releases as tarballs, I
> don't think it's appropriate to change how we consume releases in rpms.

I am not really sure, that it means that -- I am not saying "never ever
use upstream tarball, ever." My idea would be that koji would get couple
of backends and Source could be more creative. So instead of just
"download tarball from this URL, unpack and work", it could understand
alos URLs like git://, bzr://, hg:// (or something like that), meaning
"clone/checkout/<whatever is the local name of getting the sources> from
somewhere, and then build over that". And of course, one of these methods
of getting sources would be downloading tarball.

Matěj