"Extension Buddy" for Fedora 9?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 20:19:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 20:09 +0100, Leszek Matok wrote:
> Dnia 2007-11-12, o godz. 11:07:28 Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com>
> napisał(a):
>
> > a) editor vs viewer
> True.
>
> > b) inherited capabilities, ie totem can display any format gstreamer can
> > handle, which in turn depends on installed plugins
> Right now Totem claims to be able to play any multimedia files even though it
> really can't (because by default plugins for the most prominent formats like
> DVD aren't installed). The solution here is to switch
> MimeType=(...)
> into
> MimeTypeDir=/usr/lib/gstreamer-x.xx/mime.types.d
> and let plugins put appropriate files there (also, make the rpm macro
> understand the new flag). This way Nautilus (or rather some helper app) would
> know (from rpmdb or better, yum's cache), which package you have to install to
> be able to play a file in Totem (or any gstreamer application using my
> MimeTypeDir).

Something along that line sounds good if we want to stay with MIME
handler definition via desktop files. Perhaps this should accept more
than one path (like $PATH) for multiple backends.

An extension of the MIME type <-> app relation to differentiate between
viewers/listeners, editors and the like would still be needed.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759