When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Nov 13 07:22:00 UTC 2007

Le lundi 12 novembre 2007 à 18:08 -0600, Les Mikesell a écrit :

> > And when projects break up, or fold, the only part remaining (that can
> > still be packaged years later) are the tarballs that were mirrored on
> > code repository sites.
>
> Couldn't that be equally true of distributed SCMs?

You don't need a full SCM history to build an app, just a snapshot so
that's what would survive. Except unlike archives everyone would have
his own snapshot and cross-checking them would be not easy.

> > You usually need some time in a support/sysadmin position managing
> > systems built by developers from SCM dumps (or god forbid production
> > systems directly re-build from developer SCM-plugged RAD IDE
> > environments) to appreciate the difference.
>
> I do know the difference - a company where I worked for years had one
> group that was religious about deployment builds being based strictly on
> tags and the SCM containing everything necessary for the build and
> another that did a lot of hand tweaking and could only do the build on
> one machine that nobody remembered how to reconstruct.  A patient QA
> dept. was the only thing that let the latter group survive.

Then I'm surprised you assume we'd find mostly group1s on the internet
and not a huge majority of group2s.

> but the
> best you'll probably do with internet development is to glue a bug
> tracker to the revision number.

Ie chances to get it to work given the breadth of software we package
are slim to inexistent.

--
Nicolas Mailhot