"Extension Buddy" for Fedora 9?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 07:55:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 11:07 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 16:48 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 16:40 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> > > Hi.

> > > YOu know, I like that idea. A lot.
> >
> > This will figure out the provides needed:
> >
> > for i in `grep -h MimeType /usr/share/applications/* | sed "s/^MimeType=//" | sed "s/;/\n/g" | sort -u`; do echo "mime($i)"; done
> >
> > Someone just has to turn it into a proper rpm find-provides thing.
>
> While this may be a nice idea, it doesn't solve
>
> a) editor vs viewer

I don't see how this is a problem:

a) We already have this "issue" for normal desktop file with the open
with menus etc, and I've never heard any complaints. Generally the
description for the app is good enough.

b) editor vs viewer isn't really a good enought categorization anyway.
There are things like "savegame for game foo", "viewer with some editing
capabilities", "a runtime for apps of type foo", etc. I don't see what
we gain by adding something like this instead of just making sure
descriptions are good.

> b) inherited capabilities, ie totem can display any format gstreamer can
> handle, which in turn depends on installed plugins

This is indeed a broblem. However, its already a problem with the
current desktop files. And when we solve that (via some form of indirect
link) that solution maps to a similar solution in the rpm provides case.