/tftpboot vs. /var/tftp vs. something else?

Alexander Boström abo at kth.se
Tue Nov 13 10:49:40 UTC 2007

tis 2007-11-13 klockan 09:17 +0100 skrev Patrice Dumas:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 10:23:35PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> > According to the FHS this would be the desired location so if it's
> > desirable to change this is where I'd put it.  Will it make integrating
> > ltsp easier if the location is the same between Fedora and Ubuntu?

> /srv is clearly the right location, but I agree that /var/lib/*/ is the
> best location, if /srv/ is to be untouched by the packages (and I don't
> have an opinion on that point).

The current usage of /var/lib doesn't really follow FHS, but packages
touching /srv is also against the FHS, so that's not right either. I
think the best thing to do here is to violate the FHS the same way
everything else is doing and use /var/lib/tftp or stay in /tftpboot if
you're not comfortable with the former.

It would be questionable to start violating the FHS in a new and shiny
way, i.e. to use /srv/tftp. If packages are going to go into /srv there
should be a structure to it.

Btw, "lib/foo" is not about shared objects for foo, it's "here goes
things belonging to foo", regardless of if it's /var/lib or /usr/lib.
Don't be confused by "lib". Remember, this is Un*x, it's evolved, not
logical. Do you think your genes are nicely commented and using pretty
variable names? :)

/abo