When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 11:09:50 UTC 2007

> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
[...]
> > And when projects break up, or fold, the only part remaining (that can
> > still be packaged years later) are the tarballs that were mirrored on
> > code repository sites.
>
> Couldn't that be equally true of distributed SCMs?

You would have to use cryptographically secure hashes instead of
speaking tag names if you want to nail down specific revisions. That
would make very ugly, i.e not meaningful for the human eye, source URLs
in the packages. And you would have to mirror all the upstream SCMs
which I'm sure isn't a thing we would want to do. Even if we had the
hardware numbers needed for that, there would be a lot of areas where
these could be spent more worthwhile than that.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759