autoloading of kernel modules in the udev area ?!

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Nov 13 20:40:48 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
>>> What are the modules that live behind that device?
>> The module / driver behind it us i2c-dev, which gives userspace access to
>> one ore more i2c-busses. So the chain basically is:
>> -userspace app (i2cdump for example) -> i2c-dev -> i2c master driver
>> (i2c-i801
>>  for example).
>>
>> Notice that under normal circumstances userspace access to the i2c busses
>> is not used, its main use is as a debugging / development technique.
>
> So, i2c-i801 is automatically loaded, but i2c-dev isn't?

Yes.

> If it's not needed by default, I suppose the device node + kmod is one
> way to do it

Ok, thats what I wanted to hear.

> you could also build it statically if you really want
> to.

Erm, that would be Dave J.'s call to make not mine, I'm looking for a solution
which can be packaged here, not a local kludge.

> Why wouldn't i2c-dev be part of i2c-core anyway?
I guess because its not needed be default?

>> Interesting this seems to be different from adding entries under
>> /lib/udev/devices, as as said on my system after dev the loop module gets
>> loaded, while I assume its not used during boot. Wouldn't it be better
>> (faster, less memory use) for the loop-devices to sit under
>> /lib/udev/devices, so that no module gets loaded?
>
> I'm not seeing it getting loaded by default for me. Did you set up
> a loop device?

I just did a reboot to confirm, it gets loaded by default on my machine. Pretty
clean F-8 install. Done from an F-8 x86_64 livecd. Updates applied, some
packages installed, no fancy changes really, shall I bugzilla it?

Regards,

Hans