Improving halt package interaction...

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Wed Nov 14 14:53:24 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:

> Wouldn't you just make sure that the UPS shut down script is
> scheduled /after/ the database shut down, and all other critical
> services?  IE make it close to last in the shutdown schedule.

It is really best to handle this as close to the actual halt as
possible. This is the same reason why the NUT handling code has already
been put in exactly that place in the current halt script - We just need
to make it more generic and easier to "plug-in" package specific scripts.

Also, it seems from the feedback, that UPSes are not the only cases
where this would prove useful. Perhaps you need to perform an operation
after "/" has been remounted read-only, which would never be possible
from a normal initscript.

/Thomas