linux1394 and f8

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 17:41:55 UTC 2007

2007/11/9, Jarod Wilson <jwilson at redhat.com>:
> Axel Thimm wrote:

> [...]
> > Alternatively Fedora could ship a kernel with both modules and
> > blacklist the old ones. So users would just need to adjust the
> > blacklisting config and I would have less work to do :)
>
> Yeah, in retrospect, we probably should have built both stacks and just
> blacklisted the old one by default, and provided userspace bits
> (basically just libraw1394) that could operate with both stacks...

As Fedora Core 6 still have the old ieee1394 stack this wouldn't hurt
that much to have regression with firewire since users could still
have it work with FC6... But when it will be EOL, then we might
provide a fall back so users can still uses firewire...

Of course it would be better to have libraw1394 compatible with both stacks.

Until then, I was thinking of having a compat-libraw1394 (in
/usr/lib/compat-libraw1394) that would work with the old stack without
replacing the libraw1394 package:
here is a SRPM:
http://kwizart.free.fr/fedora/testing/8/SRPMS/compat-libraw1394-1.3.0-1.kwizart.fc8.src.rpm
The problem with this method is that libdc1394-1 needs
compat-libraw1394 to work. And it can only work with ieee1394 stack.
Then it leads to have the related plugin in userland app to be split
as an optional package (when possible).. I expect that the new
libraw1394 would avoid this...(as moving userland apps to libdc1394-2
seems harder...)

Does having both stacks into the kernel (ieee1394 and juju) would be possible ?
( I still miss the eth1394 module... )

Nicolas (kwizart)

Ps: I've made a quick howto but untranslated (from french), anyway the
method is explained within the packages...
http://kwizart.free.fr/blog/index.php?58-couche-compatibilite-ieee1394-pour-fedora-8