Review queue/FESCo after the merge

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Nov 14 22:41:37 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:58:27 +0100
> Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
>> You received feedback from some people, including from Hans, Me and
>> some others. On "# Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:52:34 -0400" you in
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-October/msg02295.html
>
> The crux of Hans' complaint as I understand it is that there is an
> actual freeze, at all.  That there would ever be a time where a build
> done doesn't automatically go into a release.  And I'm sorry, but I
> just can't possibly imagine doing any kind of release with any sort of
> quality if there wasn't some sort of freeze.  I fought with QA for the
> shortest freezes possible for a reasonable release cycle, and that's
> what we have in the proposed changes/schedules.  Your QA team would
> like even longer freezes.  I'd like you to find any other distribution
> that doesn't do some sort of a freeze for a release.

No the crux of my complaint is there is no way to get packages past the freeze
(not the last hard one, but the earlier one) without having to go the human ( =
slow, cumbersome) interaction path.

I understand you don't want builds in the just branched F-x to go into the
release automatically at this point, for people who may not be fully aware of
the freeze, but whats wrong with a:
"make build-and-put-it-in-the-collection-despite-the-freeze" make target, so
that if a maintainer believes this is imporant and save enough to go into the
release (and he clearly knows about the freeze otherwise he would be just doing
"make build") can do so without having to jump through hoops?

Regards,

Hans