/tftpboot vs. /var/tftp vs. something else?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Nov 15 07:41:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 18:10 -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > > Its a common recognizable default
> >
> > It's been like that for so long, and it seems unintrusive, I think it
> > should stay there.
>
> It only seems unintrusive because you haven't run into any of the
> issues I presented.  I've moved the files to /var/tftp for years to
> get around the limitations of the / filesystem.

Yup, that's right, because I didn't used to build embedded devices for a
living, so clearly I wouldn't understand...

Anyway. I read your email, and I actually understood it, but I still
don't think the *default* should be changed. It's just a configuration
value, and it is possible to change it if you really find a need to. I
am not saying you haven't experienced problems with the default on some
systems, with a read only root or any number of other factors.

Jon.