Review queue/FESCo after the merge

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 10:09:42 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 13:32 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Actually, at some point the FPC made an effort to merge the
> ReviewGuidelines and the PackagingGuidelines so that the two were
> different views on the same thing.  One is a checklist of problems to
> check.  The other gives reasoning and notes exceptions to those rules.

I think this is unnecessary redundancy. Couldn't there be one document
("PackagingReviewCookBook") that uses phrases like "<X> MUST be <Y>
unless <some exception>"? That would serve both packagers and reviewers
and would link to other pages containing the reasons if needed.

>  > * Check the spec's encoding
> This also needs human supplementing.  We can check that the spec file is
> ASCii but how are we to tell that the non-ASCii characters in there are
> UTF-8 without a human looking at the context?

The "file" command can determine that with reasonable probability as
differently encoded files contain byte sequences not valid in UTF-8.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759