F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 16:50:54 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 7:01 AM, Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com> wrote:
> - once you rpm -e --nodeps it, you find out that the "network" service
>   is not on by default either (liveCD install)

Perhaps we need to either make it even more clear what the usage case
for the desktop livecd actually is.  I thought it was clear.  Or
perhaps there is a compelling need for a server livecd that uses the
legacy network stack by default.  Either way, the desktop livecd we
are offering for F8 isn't intended to be the basis for situations for
all networking scenarios.  That is why we continue to include the
legacy network stack and why the legacy network stack is used by
default on the traditional dvd install.

I'm sort of confused by your statements concerning the inability to
turn NetworkManager off without having to remove the rpm.

There is a initscript for NetworkManager on your system is there not?

/sbin/service NetworkManager status
should tell you if its running.

/sbin/chkconfig --list NetworkManager
should tell you in which runlevels its configured to start on boot.

In any event you should be able to turn off the NetworkManager
initscript and enable the legacy network initscript if its not already
running. None of this sysadmin activity requires uninstalling rpms.

-jef"Spends quite a large amount of time in buildings containing rooms
that could be called 'labs' where most of the computers are immobile
and yet the network admins use a consistent dhcp scheme with mac
addressing  to register each and every computer on the network unless
there is a demonstrated need for a static ip in which case you can
request one. NetworkManager works just fine for 'lab' workstations
here."spaleta