F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:52:17 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:

>> static ip != server.  The desktop/server distinction is silly at best,
>> too.  I have mediawiki/apache running on my laptop - it's what I like
>> writing my notes into.  And I ssh *into* it on a regular basis.
>
> And none of that means you can't use DHCP to deliver your
> configuration, be it static, or pulled from a dynamic pool.

The fact that you _can_ use some outside mechanism to handle IP
assignments doesn't really excuse an OS from making it reasonably
convenient to do it locally.

On the other hand, in spite of my grousing about assignments during
installs, what I almost always do in practice is let a new machine take
a dhcp address as I load it, making a note of it so I can connect
remotely to finish up and do updates, then set the static address only
when it is actually ready to provide the service(s) expected at that
address.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com