System-Config-Firewall, Bluetooth, etc...

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Thu Nov 15 22:24:37 UTC 2007

>> System-config-Selinux notifier wtf for the noob...
>> I triggered an selinux alert and shtf and here we are at impass
>> Even if we make the "notice" more userfriendly, we cant have
>> *next* ( which they wanted ) button to solve it because we dont
>> want the user to allow something that should not be allowed
>> ( and yes these users would press the next button to make it go away )
>> I gave this a great deal of thought and came up with nothing
>> just that this will always be a problem.
>> ( no we dont want users to disable this with disable me button,
>> because whats the point having it if everybody disable it. )
>>
>> Now I was asked if there was available Bigbrother/Nanny software
>> that could protect/monitor their children computer usage
>> from all the harm and danger the internet can bring?
>>
>> Anything anyone?
>>
>> Does Redhat have this covered before rolling out Redhat-Desktop
>>
>> Something that can ease the mind of parents?
>>
>> Best Regards
>>           Johann B.
>>
> Did you install and run setroubleshoot?
>
> The goal of this package is to be the "nanny"

Well if setroubleshoot can prevent a kid to search
for adult sites and other xxx and drug/suicidal related websites
and prevents it from downloading illegal media content
via torrent and can report to the parent if the kid tries
to do so or provide with parents with the kids daily computer activity
report, and could enable or disable internet connection
on certain times for the kids user account ( between 20:00 to 22:00 )
the do tell im eager to learn about the hidden features of setroubleshoot :)

Given the how the noob user reacted to selinux alerts "how do I make this
go away?" followed by "ok now you showed me how to make it go away, what
does this all mean?" which I could not get them to understand, followed by
"how do I know if my computer got "infected" or "compromised?" with no
better answer from me other than you dont!" followed by is not then best
if i just turn this of since I dont understand what the "system" is
warning me about?

As I said we are at impass between selinux and the noob user...

Best regard.
         Johann B.