are you (fedora devels) using fluendo codecs?

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 01:20:57 UTC 2007

> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 14:12:02 -0700
> Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org> wrote:
>
> > Valent, you've been keeping tabs on developments with this issue.
> > Could you summarize what suggestions have been made to solve it and
> > who made these suggestions? Just the positive feedback, if you please.
>
> Fluendo could use a non-closed source compiler (I suggest gcc) so that
> the binaries could be made to not need execmem.

I'm trying to find a way to show you're talking rubbish without being
insulting, but I'm failing. The problem isn't the compiler, but the
libraries used, in this case Intel's IPP library. It provides
convenience functions for optimised decoding of a number of codecs, and
various other optimised decoding routines.

Fluendo doesn't have access to the IPP library sources, so we're waiting
for Intel to fix this. I'm not holding my breath.

> Fedora could modify the policy to allow for execmem from these files
> (not sure what the side effects of that are, nor how far reaching this
> would be given that the codecs are used in gstreamer).

Which is what Dan did for the system-wide plugins. See the bug Valent
mentioned earlier in the thread.