F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Fri Nov 16 15:12:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 17:14 -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:
> Just to be pedantic, how does the machine running the dhcp server
> software
> get an ip address if you do not hard code it? :-)

Actually, this works fine on Linux.  I use it for some of my systems at
other offices that provide RIS services for rebuilding laptops with our
corporate image.  The system itself pulls an IP via DHCP off the local
WAP gateway device, but then runs a DHCP server of its own (on the same
subnet) to send out the requisite PXE booting information for clients
when they are booted that way.  Doesn't conflict, things work, it's
actually quite nice.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>