Review queue/FESCo after the merge

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Nov 16 18:34:59 UTC 2007

Le vendredi 16 novembre 2007 à 10:41 -0500, Bill Nottingham a écrit :
> Matthias Clasen (mclasen at redhat.com) said:
> > > Yes, but fixing every possible application which could ever be put in a
> > > scriplet to never, ever, ever fail, even in the cases when failure is
> > > acceptable (and shouldn't kill the transaction) is a little beyond the
> > > mandate of the FPC. ;)
> >
> > If scriptlet are not allowed to ever, ever, fail, then just make rpm
> > ignore the exit code of scriptlets.
>
> scriptlets should be allowed to fail when the failure is catastrophic
> enough. What that is, I'm not sure.

scriptlets should be allowed to fail when the benefits of failing
(fixing packages) outweigh the cost of failure (killing transactions for
lots of users). Since so far the only documented failure was in rawhide
(at a time I doubt rawhide was perfectly installable anyway) I question
the need to hide this particular failure.

If official policy was to never fail in scriplets, that should be fixed
at the rpm or yum level. FPC may not be in the business of mandating
code changes generally but refusing to touch our own packaging tools and
embarking instead on an exhausting crusade to catch manually every
single error output in our scriptlets is such an utter waste of packager
time I hope no one ever mandates it in an official way. Software is
there to help people not the other way around.

--
Nicolas Mailhot