Re: System-config Reworking Proposal

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 11:12 +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 01:18 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > Please comment on the idea.
>
> I'd like to know whether you are considering system-config-printer to be
> part of this scheme.  CUPS configuration is quite different from other
> configuration tools, and a method based on altering configuration files
> would be a big regression.

For my tools (-date, -nfs, -samba, -services, -users), just being able
to edit files is also not sufficient. Often these tools don't edit files
themselves but use e.g. chkconfig or libuser, partly it isn't even known
whether local files are changed or some objects in an LDAP directory.

In my eyes, we first need to get UI, logic and privileged operations
cleanly separated. Then we can think about additional stuff like logging
of operations (would be put between UI and logic) or move stuff from
using usermode to PolicyKit.

Nils
--
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp redhat com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759