Smolt database is broken

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 20 04:13:45 UTC 2007

On Monday 19 November 2007, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
> I just submitted my profile a few days ago and immediately tried to
> retrieve it and got some other machine that didn't match my config. So
> I submitted it again and things looked a bit more reasonable. Today I
> checked it again and the vast majority of it has changed.
>
> So there is some massive database corruption going on AFAICT. Did I
> miss a message somewhere indicating this?

I noticed something similar many months ago, where my machine's entry didn't
even have the right architecture.  As I recall, I emailed the Smolt
maintainer, and he said it was probably a problem with the client-side UUID
generation not being random enough.  As a result, multiple machines could
get the same UUID and so write to the same server database entry.  That's
the last I heard about it.

David