F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Tue Nov 20 12:02:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 04:23:16PM +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 17:01 +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > Bug #134886 is still there since fedora core 3 times.  It means that
> > NetworkManager will happily shutdown the interfaces, ignore any
> > settings you've put in anaconda and wipe out /etc/resolv.conf if you
> > happen not to use dhcp.  Like in a lab, where desktops and servers
> > tend not to wander around so much and dhcp is used only for laptops.
>
> Just disable NetworkManager in your kickstart file.

You may be interested to know that you can not use a non-predefined
static ip address if you use kickstart.  Loader2 has dhcp mandatory is
you use a kickstart file with no ip address given in it.

net.c:781:
    /* If the user provided any of the following boot paramters, skip
     * prompting for network configuration information:
     *     ip=<val> ipv6=<val>
     *     noipv4 noipv6
     *     ip=<val> noipv6
     *     ipv6=<val> noipv4
     * we also skip this form for anyone doing a kickstart install
     */

"This form" is the one to select between dhcp and manual.

Why the hate?

  OG.