Broken dependencies: xfce4-sensors-plugin

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue Nov 20 13:03:19 UTC 2007

Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 20.11.2007, 02:54 -0700 schrieb
> buildsys at fedoraproject.org:
>> xfce4-sensors-plugin has broken dependencies in the development tree:
>> On ppc:
>> 	xfce4-sensors-plugin - 0.10.99.2-1.fc9.ppc requires libsensors.so.3
>> On x86_64:
>> 	xfce4-sensors-plugin - 0.10.99.2-1.fc9.x86_64 requires libsensors.so.3()(64bit)
>> On i386:
>> 	xfce4-sensors-plugin - 0.10.99.2-1.fc9.i386 requires libsensors.so.3
>> On ppc64:
>> 	xfce4-sensors-plugin - 0.10.99.2-1.fc9.ppc64 requires libsensors.so.3()(64bit)
>> Please resolve this as soon as possible.
>
> This is because development has switched to lm_sensors 3.0.0 RC1.

As announced more then once.

> I tried to rebuild the package but it won't build with the new lm_sensors
> API.

Correct, as was explained in the announcement

> I informed upstream about it and they told me
>
>> I guess, I'll ignore their changes for a few months. API breaking in
>> libs is always ugly (although it is a very ugly API). And I am not
>> willing to introduce #ifdefs for them.

Indeed the original API was ugly, and worse broken in several aspects, hence
the API change, however the lm_sensors-2.10.x series will be maintained for
atleast a few more months for less fast moving distro's and for kernel-2.4
users. So upstream eventually will have to move to using ifdef's as both API's
will coexist for quite a large period of time.

 > What am I supposed to do in a case like this? Can we temporarily remove
 > the package from the development repo?

As stated in the announcement I'm more then willing to help write a patch for
this, I've already patched several other apps and it isn't that hard. I'll make
the patch suitable for upstream (IOW use the proper ifdef's so the old code
keeps working, and upstream's coding style) then its up to you to send it upstream.

I'm rather busy atm though, so I'll put this on my todo list but it may take a
week or more.

Regards,

Hans