Re: NetworkManager - Why Doesn't nm-applet have a way of using WPA-PSK?

On 11/20/2007 08:26 AM, Kelly Miller wrote:
Andrew Farris wrote:
Was your access point configured to only allow this option? Sounds like the OP is wanting to FORCE the use of WPA-PSK (i.e. access point will allow it), not just have NM make the choice automatically. The access point may be setup to
allow several security options.
Yes, I have to force it, because up until today the system was using WEP. However, I found out through experimentation that my wireless network was acting horribly flaky, and I managed to track it to the WEP key itself (when I removed the security, everything worked fine). So I switched the access point to use WPA-PSK, as a better option than leaving it wide open. But NetworkManager was still insisting it used WEP, so I was trying to force it to switch. nm-applet allows manually selecting WEP and a few other options, but not WPA-PSK with a specific encryption cipher.

What really should be happening is NM should notice there is a new/different encryption scheme and offer to let you enter it. You shouldn't have to force it. If this is not happening, file a bug.