Fedora Orphaned Package Removal: November 29th 2007

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Nov 20 19:09:09 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:50:09 +0200
>
> Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi> wrote:
> > The following packages were orphaned by me *after* the F8 release
> > specifically because I thought that'd help them from being garbage
> > collected almost immediately (yes, from devel), so something is
> > inconsistent with the two paragraphs above.
> >
> > gkrellm-weather, libid3tag, openct, opensc, pcsc-perl, pcsc-tools
> >
> > Also, as far as I know, the cdiff package has already been orphaned
> > and pruned from the repos since FE-4.  It should not be brought back,
> > colordiff replaces
>
> There is a difference between orphaning or end of lifeing.  Orphans
> need a timeout before they can be tossed.

Hm, sure, I understand that, but could you clarify which of the cases above
(1st: 6 listed packages or 2nd: cdiff) you're replying to?  I'm having
problems inferring the context.

To clarify: cdiff was just a side note.  What I wanted to point out that
Warren's message said "removal of packages from rawhide who have been without
owners since prior to Fedora 8", but the listed packages included several
packages that had owners until _after_ Fedora 8, so someone could be
interested in verifying that the list indeed includes packages that it was
intended to include.  I don't care that deeply, I did orphan those packages
anyway...