[Fwd: Font issues (mkfontdir & friends not getting run) with F-8]

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Nov 21 06:20:01 UTC 2007

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 13:11 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> 2) The gtk-update-icon-cache way, so conditionally run mkfontdir and friends
>>     from scripts, if installed. And on installation of mkfontdir, run it for all
>>     dirs under /etc/X11/fontpath.d
>
> This is what we do for fontconfig caches too.  From DejaVu:
>

> %post
> if [ -x %{_bindir}/fc-cache ]; then
>   %{_bindir}/fc-cache %{fontdir}
> fi
>

> %postun
> if [ "$1" = "0" ]; then
>   if [ -x %{_bindir}/fc-cache ]; then
>     %{_bindir}/fc-cache %{fontdir}
>   fi
> fi
>

> %post experimental
> if [ -x %{_bindir}/fc-cache ]; then
>   %{_bindir}/fc-cache %{fontdir}
> fi
>

> %postun experimental
> if [ "$1" = "0" ]; then
>   if [ -x %{_bindir}/fc-cache ]; then
>     %{_bindir}/fc-cache %{fontdir}
>   fi
> fi
>

> %post -n %{fontname}-lgc-fonts
> if [ -x %{_bindir}/fc-cache ]; then
>   %{_bindir}/fc-cache %{fontdir}
> fi
>

> %postun -n %{fontname}-lgc-fonts
> if [ "$1" = "0" ]; then
>   if [ -x %{_bindir}/fc-cache ]; then
>     %{_bindir}/fc-cache %{fontdir}
>   fi
> fi
>

> Just go ahead and add similar bits for X core protocol fonts to the font
> SIG spec template (after passing through Nicolas that is), but make it
> clear that no new packages should add those bits.  Only fonts that used
> to have them should now do it like this.

Thats possible, but then the mkfontdir packages needs a post to run
mkfontdir on all dirs under /etc/X11/fontpath.d upon install, as it may
be installed later then some fonts, and core fonts using apps / libs
need to require mkfontdir. So IMHO just carrying pre generated fonts.dir
and fonts.scale files in the affected font packages is much better, but
according to some this _may_ have issues, but no one knows what issues
it seems and I cannot think of any issues.

> And all font packages should be cleans of ghost font-cache.1 files, yes.

That I fully agree on.

Regards,

Hans