WTF? Inaccessible bug reports?

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Wed Nov 21 19:30:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 06:43:37PM +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> Olivier Galibert wrote:
> >  A default installation does not have a compiler.
>
> The default installation (in the modern world) is for "default user".
> The default user want games, office, Internet and xxx. He does not want
> a compiler. He even does not know what is compiler at all.

Are you so sure of that?  The people around me that could possibly be
contented with that won't change the OS that came with their computer
anyway.  One the the gripes against Windows of the others is that
there is nothing you can do with a standard install.

And, frankly, have you seen the price of a gigabyte recently in the
western world?  Some people here seem to consider me insane because I
want to install a 10-15G system instead of 2.5G.  Meanwhile, there are
friggin' mp3 players with 160G of space, and my home computer has 800G
and will go to 2T with the next upgrade.

Even more than an office suite, the default install should have a
comprehensive backup suite.  Not sure such a beast exists in open
source though.

> OTOH, If you remember UNIX, it mean that you are 35-45 years old.

I'm 36, good guess.  OTOH I've seen a linguist of 28 fall in love with
the Unix way because it's *way* more efficient when you want to handle
a decent amount of data.  She now has mysql on her laptop.

> Usually, such people are "in the middle of career", and are busy by
> their work for employer. It is often too difficult to find a time for
> Linux...

Tell me about it.

  OG.