WTF? Inaccessible bug reports?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Nov 21 21:56:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 06:43:37PM +0300, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> Olivier Galibert wrote:
>
>> Fedora was originally nice for people coming from an Unix background,
>> where 50% of the windows on the screen are xterms.  It seems to have
>> collectively decided that it should instead cater to the Windows kind
>> of people, to the detriment of the Unix ones.
>
> Perhaps it could be a good idea to provide a "spifit-of-UNIX" Fedora spin.
> Actually, all the packages are (still) present in the common "Everything"
> repository. But I don't know, how many "ancient UNIX users" remain in
> Fedora world. I am. You are. Who else?..

I am. And this issue was already discussed (at least the desktop
part):
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00208.html

> It seems a task for people as you and I to provide a "traditional UNIX"
> additional style for Fedora. Remember, a lot of people even do not know
> what is UNIX at all. They never worked under it.

It depends what you call 'traditional UNIX', but some design concepts
are being forgotten in any case (look at the
udev/dbus/hal/gnome-power-management stack), be it for good or bad.
And in my opinion the life of the traditional UNIX user on linux
will increasingly be a struggle for survival given that the big desktop
are the one with more time in hand in linux now. Now, old style
UNIX users don't need a lot to live, so the struggle may not be that
painful, but these days are certainly over when linux was ruled by
simplicity and text files.

--
Pat