Heads up: openldap rebase for Fedora/devel

Jan Safranek jsafrane at redhat.com
Thu Nov 22 15:59:12 UTC 2007

Upstream recently released new minor (2.4.x) version of OpenLDAP
package: http://www.openldap.org/software/release/announce.html

You can see there list of changes. From development point of view I did
not notice any difference, the API should be the same as in previous
version.

I'd like to update openldap in devel to the new version. Many packages
depend on openldap, so I will provide compat-openldap package, which
will provide 2.3.x libraries and no recompilation of any component would
be required.

I'd like to to ask all maintainers of components, which depend on
openldap (see appendix), to test following simple cases:

1. the component works with compat-openldap, which provides 'old' 2.3.x
libraries

2. the component is compilable with new openldap-devel-2.4.6

3. the recompiled component works with new openldap-2.4.6 (and with
2.4.6 and 2.3.39 server)

I roughly tested all these scenarios with nss_ldap without any problems,
including the recompilation.

2.4.6 release is prepared in CVS. You can find binaries (as yum
repository) at
http://people.redhat.com/jsafrane/openldap-2.4-preview/$arch.

I would like to build and release openldap-2.4.6 at the beginning of
December - does it sound realistically to test at least the first point
until then? I do not expect any problem, but I want to be sure that new
openldap does not break anything when I release it. Feel free to propose
better plan.

Thanks,

Jan

Appendix: list of packages, depending on openldap:
am-utils
anjuta
apr-util
compat-openldap