Heads up: openldap rebase for Fedora/devel

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Nov 22 16:16:02 UTC 2007

Jan Safranek wrote:
> Upstream recently released new minor (2.4.x) version of OpenLDAP
> package: http://www.openldap.org/software/release/announce.html
>
> You can see there list of changes. From development point of view I did
> not notice any difference, the API should be the same as in previous
> version.
>
> I'd like to update openldap in devel to the new version. Many packages
> depend on openldap, so I will provide compat-openldap package, which
> will provide 2.3.x libraries and no recompilation of any component would
> be required.

Why provide compat-openldap if the API's are the same, as you say?

The reason we occasionally provide an old compat version is when too
many apps don't BUILD against the new version of the library.  It is an
anti-goal in Fedora to keep a compat-* library entirely for the sake of
avoiding rebuilds.

If most apps build fine against the new openldap, please do not provide
a compat-openldap package.  If there is huge API breakage then we need
to discuss the possibility of a compat-* package.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Schedule
You are being far too cautious about breaking things in rawhide,
especially this far before the Alpha1 development freeze.

Please build yourself the new openldap locally in mock, and test for
yourself whether every package rebuilds cleanly against the new version
within mock.  It is good enough if *most* other rawhide packages are
easily rebuildable against the new openldap at the time it is upgraded
in rawhide.  Work with the owners of the dependent packages to prepare
for rawhide inclusion and to be sure all packages are rebuilt against it
after it completes.

If the dependent package rebuild testing shows few problems, go ahead
with upgrading the version even before December.  The sooner during this
rawhide cycle the better, to stabilize before Alpha1.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com