Support TV on Fedora - Proposal for Fedora 9

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Nov 23 00:13:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 19:29 -0800, Otto Rey wrote:
> Fedora should have a good support of TV cards. I have a LifeView
> FlyVideo 98 and Fedora 8 with MythTV (and others) and I can't get TV
> working. I try almost everything (i am developer).
> For home users, Fedora 9 TV support should by something like this:
> "Install this crappy package and you are zapping" :D

The problem is two-fold:
- kernel drivers
- user-land support

For kernel drivers, not much that can be done, other than hoping that
somebody writes the driver for a specific type of card (unless you want
to write the driver yourself). For a number of cards, you'll need a
firmware. Anybody interested in driving that? Could people involved in
helping get the wireless firmwares give some guidance?

As for user-space, realistically, we'd only be able to support analog
tuners. Most digital tuners use MPEG-2 or MPEG-4, and we can't ship
decoders for those codecs in Fedora...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure your problem is with the kernel driver, and not
knowing what the problems are severely limit our ability to help.

Cheers