Firefox sets wrong encoding to directory listings?

Martin Sourada Martin.Sourada at seznam.cz
Sun Nov 25 22:09:00 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 18:56 +0100, nodata wrote:
> What character set does your filesystem use?

Should be UTF-8. It's ext3 on LVM with no special settings.

> What does Apache display if you create a file with a Japanese filename?
> Copy and paste from yahoo.jp to test.

No need to copy and paste, I use scim for Japanese input ;-)

I created a file named "風" [kaze; wind]. When I try to access it with
firefox via vsftpd it has both wrong encoding and is inaccessible (the
link is both wrongly displayed and wrongly used, but when I manually
write the character into location bar the file can be opened), when I
access it with firefox via httpd (Apache) it is only wrongly displayed
but works ok. If I manually set the encoding in firefox to UTF-8 the
name is fixed both when accessed via vsftpd (which fixes the link as
well) and via httpd. Just in case you are interested, the wrong string
looks like "風".

Looks like both vsftpd and httpd (Apache) are not very UTF-8 friendly :-(

Thanks,
Martin