Re: Should "yum install" be case sensitive?

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
seth vidal wrote:
On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 21:03 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
Hi.

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:55:34 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote

Search is case insensitive, list is a search.  However packages are
case sensitive.  While we don't /currently/ have a Miro and a miro,
the rpm database would allow for it, thus install/removal actions
need to be case sensitive.
How about "try case sensitive first, and insensitive if the first does
not turn up anything"?

yes, b/c we love it so much when computer programs try to think for us.

They already do in a lot of occasions anyway. Is there a real reason not to do this? I always hated finding out that some package have capitalizations for no obvious reasons. MySQL or mysql or Mysql... Being able to just type yum install mysql without having to worry about the specifics would be nice.

Good plan! And while we are at it we should make yum remove case sensitive too, people will get really confused if "yum install StrANgECaps" works but "yum remove StrANgECaps" won't, so for consistency we really should make yum remove case insensitive too.

Regards,

Hans