Changing the rpm default queryformat to include arch

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 18:25:54 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 6:19 AM, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:
> If limiting visibility of the epochs is the argument, then why is it ok
> for end user tools such as pirut (not to mention yum itself and all
> related tools) to show them?

Putting the epoch into the filename output as the second most
significant piece of information will be more disruptive to shell
scriptable interactions than tacking on the arch at the end.  Putting
the information into an interactive interface that people do not
commonly rely on in a scripted way is far less disruptive.

I'm not going to judge whether or not its worth doing, but I'm telling
you right now that there will a large need for a re-education program
concerning the epoch information if it goes in. We'll need you to blog
about it preemptively and possibly provide some information in the
form of a feature item, such as how to revert this change for legacy
needs, information that documentation writers can reformat and
distribute as needed.

Also it would be instructive to know if such a change is planned to be
propagated forward into the next RHEL release.

Please consider something other than the colon character as a
separator so we don't disrupt the ability to backup rpm package files
into fat filesystems.  There are a lot of external enclosures out
there with big disks with fat filesystems being used for backups in
small IT situations (home office, personal use and things of that
nature.)  Making a filenaming change which disrupts the ability to
backup the files seems an unnecessary complication.

-jef