Support TV - Proposal for F9 - enhanced DVB capabilities

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:47:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 21:20 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Saturday 24 November 2007, David Timms wrote:
>
> > 3. DVB recording packages:
> > AFAIK, a package that can record {not playback} a DVB stream would meet
> > F guidelines. In fact it can be as simple as using tzap {dvb-apps} and
> > cat to record dvb programs.
> >
> > Perhaps a split-up mythtv package that can record analog and digital
> > content, but optionally playback mpeg streams {live, recorded, delayed}
> > only if non Fedora parts are installed would be possible. This could
> > also help to support both analog capture cards and digital cards with
> > built-in mpeg decoders out of the box in a great TV app.
>
> vdr which is already in Fedora should be able to do all that.  I haven't
> tested running it without an MPEG capable output device, but I suppose it
> will require some manual tweaking (channels.conf, remote controller
> keybindings) and isn't very user friendly in that sense.  But once it's
> running, for example vdradmin-am can be used to control it if its OSD is not
> available.

This is exactly what I've been doing for the past few months. I'm using
xine for playback of the 001.vdr files. I miss the vdr-xine integration
but can still use the shell to delete old recordings.

I've had VDR setup for a few years with a DXR3 card so configuration was
done already. It would be tricky to setup from scratch like this.

	Jon