Changing the rpm default queryformat to include arch

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Tue Nov 27 20:34:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 01:30:19PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> with this queryformat people now will start bitching on why they can't
>>> find a file of this name - the same applies to "all small letters file
>>> names".
>>
>> I'm changing the default filename too to match this, for this very reason.
>
> Hmm, this makes bash completion a bit akward as $COMP_WORDBREAKS
> contains a ':'. I.e., foo-3:2<TAB> doesn't complete the rpm name
> any longer.

Right, that's fairly nasty, and also I think the first practical "this
breaks" example instead of "somebodys hypotethical script somewhere" cases
(which without doubt do exist). Backing up to filesystem X where ':' is
illegal doesn't really count as reason though, as ':' is a valid character
in rpm otherwise anyway.

The point of the excercise (in rpm.org HEAD) was largely to see what would
really break but I think I've seen enough already. So back to plan A)
which was
- add arch to default queryformat
- add popt-alias for legacy nvr queryformat
- add popt-alias for nevra queryformat to make accessing the "hidden"
   epoch info saner than a mile-long queryformat strings

I guess that's enough excitement for one-time change in the world of RPM,
and now off to revert the changes, mark for revisiting in ten years...

At least this was a fairly entertaining day on fedora-devel ;)

 	- Panu -