alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 17:34:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:44:52 -0500
Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:

> This should not be allowed in a stable distribution for a critical
> package like a working email client. I lost all email capability and
> had to move to new machine and not have access to any emails I
> previously sent or had stored as drafts and lost my contacts list.
> This impacted my work at Red Hat.

The same thing can happen with "stable" releases too.  It's up to the
maintainer and other folks to test updates when they're in
updates-testing to catch this kind of thing, regardless if it's
"alpha", "snapshot", "backport", or just "stable".  Often times the scm
snapshot is nothing more than the patch added, so the effect of
backporting would be the same as taking a snapshot.  It's not our place
to bind maintainers to one method or another, they have to be allowed
to make reasonable decisions.

--
Jesse Keating