alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Wed Nov 28 17:49:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Adam Tkac wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:40:52PM +0100, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>> On a separate unrelated note, please do not append "a" to the RPM Version
>> field for alphas.  As far as RPM is concerned "9.5.0a5" > "9.5.0" which
>> means you have to keep changing the epoch [31!  wow :-(] The correct way is
>> to have a 0.a. or similar in the Release field.
>>
>> This is documented in the packaging guidelines:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#PreReleasePackages
>
> That package was released before I read policy :) Now all is quite
> correct (9.5.0-18.a7)

  I was going to go off on you for using 8.5.0a5 in the %version, but then
I checked what was actually on my nameserver and saw you didn't flub that
up. :-)
  However, a minor point to note in the future is that it really ought to
be 9.5.0-0.18.a7, as per:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#head-d97a3f40b6dd9d2288206ac9bd8f1bf9b791b22a

  ...but I'll let you get by with a light slap on the wrist. ;-)

      Jima