Driver transition: via -> openchrome

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 18:39:38 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 11:44 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
> Just a heads-up:
>
> The via driver in Xorg is pretty much dead.  Therefore, rawhide will be
> switching to openchrome.  xorg-x11-drivers now Requires openchrome on
> x86 and amd64 machines, and the openchrome package (once it builds
> again) will both provide and obsolete the via package, and munge your
> config file (if present) to change the driver name appropriately.  Also,
> X will load the new driver if started without a config file.
>
> Shouldn't break anything, but if it does, as always, bugzilla is
> standing by and ready to take your call.

Will this improve the chances of AIGLX support with VIA's?  I only ask
because we've just switched over to Fedora from Windows at our school
and one of the main things that appeals to the students is compiz.
Right now I've got it working correctly on our three or four-year-old
nVidia cards and brand new Intel cards, but our two or three year old
VIA cards aren't supported.

Jonathan