rawhide report: 20071127 changes

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 19:43:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 11:38:52AM -0800, darrell pfeifer wrote:
> >selinux-policy-3.1.2-1.fc9
> >--------------------------
> >* Mon Nov 19 2007 Dan Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> 3.1.2-1
> >- Merge with upstream
> >- Allow xsever to read hwdata_t
> >- Allow login programs to setkeycreate
>
> Yum updates are hanging at updating selinux-policy-targeted
>
> Looks like "semodule -b base.pp -i awaitstats.pp ... " is just sitting waiting
>
> This has happened on 3 different systems. I think all have selinux off.

I had this happen too.

I strace'd semodule & it was blocking on a write() call to a pipe connected
to the parent process. So I killed semodule, and now the parent (the /bin/sh
process for the %post script) blocked on writing to its parent  (yum). So
I killed that too, and now yum blocked writing too. Finally I Ctrl-C'd
yum, and it spewed a bunch of warning messages to stderr, which clearly
came from semodule.

So, two issues - semodule should redirect all its output to /dev/null in
the %post script, and  yum should make sure it consumes both stdout/err
from any scripts it runs so they don't block.

Unfortunately, I lost the strace logs before I could file a BZ report and
my other machines are fine with the update.

Dan.