Why does eclipse-platform depend on tomcat?

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 21:07:40 UTC 2007

* Christoph Höger <choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de> [2007-11-28 15:00]:

> just wondering why eclipse should need an application server...

It's used for the help system.  Technically in 3.3.x, jetty is used, but
I didn't want to deviate from upstream's SDK by not keeping tomcat in
there (plus, there may be 3rd part plugins that depend upon it and I
didn't want them to work with an upstream download and not with our
RPMs).  FWIW, I dont' think it'll be in 3.4.  Also note that the help
system is actually broken and I've got a fix coming as part of the
3.3.1.1 update.  It's in rawhide now.

Andrew