alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 11:07:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:12:37 +0100, Christopher Aillon scripst:
> Call it guidelines, suggestions, hints, policy, whatever.  That's all
> pedantry.

Yes, it is pedantry (what did you expect from me?), but it has some real
life consequences -- Tom's long boring paragraph which no sane maintainer
will ever read (I am afraid) is one example of trying to be too
legalistic IMHO.

For hints text, something like this would be enough (again IMHO, and
IAAL):

Maintainers should strongly avoid releasing "alpha" or "beta" builds of
packages into Fedora (both Rawhide and especially into released
distributions). If you think you need to do so, please, test thoroughly
and write in the changelog the reasons why you did so (if possible with
the timeline stable release could be expected).

or something of this kind.

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz

When you're happy that cut and paste actually works I think it's
a sign you've been using X-Windows for too long.
   -- from /. discussion on poor integration between KDE and
      GNOME