[Rpm-metadata] createrepo 0.4.11

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 15:03:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 08:57:09AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 14:54 +0100, Florian La Roche wrote:

> > > Why does the order matter? Doesn't this just take more time to do the
> > > sort?
> >
> > It makes the metadata predictable and not dependent on the fs of the
> > server.
>
> Again, how does the predictability of order the filelists and deps/reqs
> are put into the metadata impact the functionality?

Hello Seth,

This is about stability of the data. Currently you cannot easily
run createrepo and quickly check the output against the existing data.

> > The additional time should not matter at all here.
>
> There are as many as 11000 pkgs in some of the repositories we create.
> How does it NOT matter if it takes extra time to sort each of them?

I am not aware of such limits for python .sort(). 11000 is not a huge
amount of data compared to other computations done in createrepo.

regards,

Florian La Roche