alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 10:28:00 UTC 2007

Tomas Mraz wrote:
> I have to agree with you. The "alpha" name in version mostly doesn't
> mean much. If you really tested it thoroughly I don't think you should
> be blamed. Because otherwise nobody could allow for example Evolution
> into the distro as it sometimes eats e-mails in my configuration (the
> bug is reported upstream for a long time and no fix is ahead).

Haha.. a classic case in point.  Evolution has had reported/unfixed bugs with
'rampant unchecked memory consumption' for many years, and it does cause crashes
and data loss.  The simple fact is many people need its features in an
enterprise environment, so 'stable' as the releases are not they must be used.

A bug showing up in an alpha BIND is (though unfortunate) really just a bug
showing up in BIND; the alphaness may have had nothing to do with it.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>
   gpg 0xC99B1DF3 at pgp.mit.edu