Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

Lubomir Kundrak lkundrak at redhat.com
Fri Nov 30 11:05:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 09:34 +0100, Mark wrote:

> i was just looking through the system monitor to see how my memory
> usage was doing and that gave me a impressive (negative way) result.
> I've made a screenshot [1] of it and edited it a little. The color
> that i added in mean:
>
> - darkred : extreme memory usage for..?? nothing?
> - red : gnome-panel related things (applets mostly)
> - orange : first applet UNDER one MB.
>
> Now if you take a look at the image you see that my current gnome
> session is taking up:
> 4.9 MB (gnome-panel)
> 3.5 MB (mixer_applet2)
> 3.0 MB (wnck-applet)
> 2.3 MB (nm-applet)
> 1.2 MB (notification-area-applet)
> 1.1 MB (gnome-volume-manager)
> 0.7 MB (bluetooth-applet)

I was kind of worried about the default choice of applets for a
different reason -- they seem to slow Gnome startup very much. Did
anyone notice, that Fedora 8 Gnome startup takes roughly two times
longer than Fedora 6 one? On the other side I just took it as a fact of
life, and disabled things that I don't use like bluetooth or tomboy in
my kickstarts. All in all, the same thing applies for services.