WIP VCS branch [Ad: Package Review VCS]

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Nov 30 13:31:26 UTC 2007

Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Warren's brilliant idea of a separate VCS for package reviews reminds me
> of how the NetBSD/pkgsrc projects does this kind of things. They keep a
> repository named pkgsrc-wip, which is basically a repository open for
> anyone (with an account). It is where packages that are not
> complete/finished/reviewed are.
>
> One of its uses is package review -- new packagers just add their
> packages here, ask for help on a dedicated list and when they feel the
> package is finished, they ask for a review. This is how they learn to
> package. It also encourages cooperation during packaging.
>
> Other use is that packagers keep packages that are not finished in some
> way. This is what we don't have and might be a nice thing to have:
>
> Let's say a package is in alpha state, without a clear idea when would
> it be relased and in very unfinished state. Considering that
> devel/rawhide is place for things that are expected to be stable at the
> time of release, it's not a good home for such packages. Cur
Hermans, V.H.F. wrote:

rently
> packagers just keep those packages in their private repositories.
> Examples are KDE4, xulrunner, GRUB 2, etc. I think it would be
> definitely better to have them in Fedora hosted VCS.

Such a wip VCS sounds like a good plan, I know I would use it a lot,
currently I actually have a dir called wip in my fedora dir, with under
that a dir per package I'm packaging.

Having this would also make it easy to sync changes between
  multiple computers while working on them.

Regards,

Hans