NetworkManager-0.7 can't make new wireless connection

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Oct 3 22:26:58 UTC 2007

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 12:46:29AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 16:20 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > >
> > > Yeah, works for me too.
> >
> > Not working here.  I use the ath5k driver and it scans and find
> > wireless networks, but when I click on them (WPA/WPA2 Enterprise
> > required) nothing happens--no pop up, no dialog asking for certificate
> > files, nothing.
>
> ath5k is still pretty immature; it hasn't worked for me with
> wpa_supplicant/NM and only recently stopped hanging the machine on even
> a plain 'ifup' at boot time.  I'll have a go at seeing whether or not
> this is an NM, wpa_supplicant, or driver problem.  But just know that it
> may be rocky with ath5k for a while since it's still under really heavy
> development, about where mac80211 itself was this spring.

Newer stuff is now working great on the open wireless network I tried.
NM scans and finds the network.  I have to manually select it, and it
DHCPs and works fine from there on.  This is all with the ath5k
driver.

Unfortunately, WPA/WPA2 Enterprise (e.g. certificate-based, not PSK)
is still doing absolutely nothing, no dialog box at all, no chance to
configure it with certs...  How is this supposed to work?

I built madwifi ath_pci driver from Livna for the 214.rc8.git2.fc8
kernel, and it behaves the same way w.r.t. WPA.  I'll retry the open
network with that driver later tonight.

But basically, this seems like a regression.  Wireless networks that
worked before should ideally continue to work with the new NM.