sqlite over NFS (locking)

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Oct 5 19:39:26 UTC 2007

I just recently got bitten by issues accessing sqlite databases over NFS
(trying to run pungi on Fedora devel and putting the output on our F7
fileserver).  Now, http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q5 explicitly states
that one should avoid this:

But use caution: this locking mechanism might not work correctly if the
database file is kept on an NFS filesystem. This is because fcntl() file
locking is broken on many NFS implementations. You should avoid putting
SQLite database files on NFS if multiple processes might try to access
the file at the same time.

Now, is NFS fctl() locking really broken going from Fedora devel to
Fedora 7?  rpc.statd is running.  Filesystem is exported "sync".

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com