gdm Create User

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sat Oct 6 19:47:57 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Richi Plana wrote:
>>> I think a cool *optional* functionality would be-
>>>
>>> Whenever gdm receives an unknown username, *automatically* create
>>> that account as new, and log them in.
>>>
>>> Perhaps the way to implement your functionality, would be to have the
>>> above, but after login attempt, a 15 second timeout prompt pops up
>>> (with cancel), notifying that it was an unrecognized login, and
>>> asking for the   adminstrative password to confirm account creation.
>>> And then perhaps a checkbox to enable/disable continuation of login
>>> for that user.  Then you get back to my functionality with an
>>> administrative setting that just disables the popping up of the
>>> confirmation/authentication dialog.
>>
>> Well, that certainly sounds like a smart system ... and I'm all for
>> computers trying to be smarter than their users (if they can do it
>> successfully). But why add a timeout?
>
> I was thinking out loud...  I was sort of trying to fit it in so it sort
> of still behaved like the old way (i.e. screen jiggle pause and back to
> login prompt).  But since you brought it up and I thought about it, I
> don't see a compelling reason for the timeout.
>
>  I'm assuming finding out a list of
>> users from the console isn't a security issue (since they're displayed
>> as a list by GDM)
>
> I don't think what I described changes anything from that security
> perspective.  I.e. already you get a 'invalid username' response.
>
>  so why not make the computer think one of two things
>> has happened: 1) the user mistyped the username or 2) the user wants to
>> create a new user. The system could ask which and ask for the root
>> password or directory administrator's password if it was a request for
>> the creation of users.
>>
>> It's not intuitive, though, so maybe a "Login (existing or create a new
>> one)" at the prompt would be nice.
>
> sounds good.
>
>> Maybe then we could remove the "Create User" account at firstboot.
>
> To round out the missing bits, the root authentication prompt might also
> include-
>
> - confirmation of the user's chosen password
> - optional Real Name setting
> ( default desktop choice comes from normal gdm session selection )

Of course I had noticed, but wasn't keeping up on the highly relevant
ongoing thread on fedora-desktop-list.  Skimming it-

If you wanted to merge my idea with what they've been talking about, it
sounds like it would be a matter of gdm detecting the unknown login, and
then bringing up the stock-gnome-user-creation-dialog, prepopulated with
the username and the password (and prompt for root passwd).

I of course would then like 2 admin options: one to disable root passwd
prompt, and another to not bring up the dialog, and just log in,
assuming defaults, and let the user modify settings if desired via the
normal admin/prefs.

-dmc