OpenSceneGraph-devel woes on F-7/FC-6 ExcludeArch change in stable release

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:55:44 UTC 2007

On 10/8/07, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 09:19:47 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:
>
> > Ralf Corsepius has updated OpenSceneGraph-devel in F-7 and FC-6 to
> > ExcludeArch: ppc64
> >
> > He did this on a stable release without blocking any excludearch bugs
> > or notifiying anyone as far as I can tell!
>
> Look once more:
>
> * Thu Jun 21 2007 Ralf Corsépius <rc040203 freenet de> - 1.2-4
>  - ExcludeArch: ppc64 (BZ 245192, 245196).
>
> > This has been a real pain for me and I'm a little upset that package
> > maintainers who depend on OSG-devel were not notified.  If I missed
> > some email then I apologize.
> >
> > Is there not some procedure or guideline for adding excludearch on a
> > package in a stable release?

>From the review guidelines:
 The bug number should then be placed in a comment, next to the
corresponding ExcludeArch line.

That's where I looked, I also checked the bugzilla for
ExcludeArch-ppc64 but didn't look back far enough.  I figured this was
a bug filed recently since the change was just done, apparently this
was filed three months ago!

There has got to be some easier way, is every package maintainer who
uses a devel package supposed to be CC'd on these ExcludeArch bugs?

Why can't we have some easier automated way for devel package
maintainers to notify other package maintainers who depened on their
package when changes like this are made?